Sunday, October 19, 2014

Memo #2

Research provides evidence that writing among special education and learning disabled students is in fact a challenge. As we have learned through our class reading and discussion, academic achievement ( including writing in high school ) plays a critical role in a student’s future academic and career success. High school is a time of increased academic focus for all students with or without disabilities as they transition to adulthood. According to the following articles, “Addressing the Academic Needs of Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in Secondary Education” and “Writing Instruction for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders : A review of Literature,” the development of composition skills may be challenging for students with ASD. Several reasons may account for this phenomenon according to Pennington. He states writing as a communicative act is a social event between the writer and audience. This requires an awareness and understanding of other’s perspectives. However, individuals with ASD have difficulty comprehending this. In addition, Pennington states that “researchers have demonstrated that a strong relationship exists between written and oral language development” (Pennington, p158. ) The communication deficits that are the cardinal feature of ASD, also serve as a great barrier to learning and acquiring essential writing skills. Fleury in his research also documents struggles that students with ASD encounter. Writing difficulties can also be attributed to the mechanics of writing, content related aspects of writing, visual motor speed issues, as well as difficulty with the complex tasks of being able to plan, generate text, organize, and revise. Taken together as Fleury explains, “ issues around fine motor, processing, and executive functioning can affect both the quantity and quality of the written product”( Fleury p71) Although children with Autism may experience difficulty developing writing skills, the acquisition of these skills is critical. Writing can be used in a variety of ways. These include writing texts to express ideas, access information and reinforcement, make requests, engage in dialogue or evoke emotional responses states Pennington. So the question remains, how do teachers instruct writing to students with special needs and learning disorders. What I found in the secondary sources somewhat surprised me, although I am not sure why. The reality, according to multiple sources, is that instruction is very similar to that of a non-disabled student. Where the pressure remains to have all students improve and meet specific standards, instruction resembles that of a general classroom. In the article “ Success for Learning Disabled Writers Across the Curriculum,” Sills identifies the need to classify students as visual, auditory or kinesthetic learners. He suggests making assignments that accomodate all three perspectives to reach every student and allowing physical relief for those that have difficulty concentrating. In addtion teachers can ask individuals to state their understanding of the assignment in order to check their comprehension. Providing reading guides, scaffolding and modeling are also techniques that teachers may find helpful during instruction. Allowing students to re-read and re-write several times with a specific focus in mind is also helpful. Lastly using the acronym SCAN will encourage the students to revise as needed before their final draft. Allowing un-timed writing in a low stress and low stakes environment is an accomodation that can foster the success of a challenged writer. To my surprise, I’m finding there is no magical method reported to teaching students with special needs. It boils down to the basics. Know your students learning style, instruct, scaffold, instruct some more, model, practice, revise, and revise again. Managing the classroom to provide a safe environment as well is a crucial component of instruction as well. Having an understanding of what writing instruction should look like in the classroom, I will be interested to see what the reality is in the world of special education.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gwen!

    I'm sorry, but I don't like your background at all. The lined paper combined with the small text makes it very hard to read. I kept loosing my place. I was very surprised by the research that you have found about teaching writing to students with special needs. It seems that there are some people who think that writing is not very helpful to them (which I'm surprised about) and some people who think that writing is helpful to these students. I though writing would be extremely helpful, but I guess it's not as helpful as I thought it might be. I'm also surprised how writing is taught to students with special needs; this makes me feel like maybe we don't want to try to teach the way we teach writing to students with special needs; it has to be taught this way and no other way. Your research definitely is interesting and I would love to see what else you uncover in you future studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, thanks for your visual input…I liked it in theory until words went on it too. I agree I can't really see it either. Good thing its not the final draft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gewn,

    I know you're already aware of this fact but your layout needs a bit of assistance. That being said however, I'd be happy to help you! I had difficulty reading the blog posts but once I got through the first paragraph you had me hooked. Now with a growing interest in Special Education, your studies particularly stand out to me. I'm very interested to see what you find!

    Overall I'm pretty satisfied with your results thus far. I think all students, regardless of need, ought be offered the same educational opportunities. I think this builds a safe, welcoming environment and discourages stratification in the "real world." I would have liked to say more... and I was about to ... but that isn't the purpose of my comment.

    Furthermore, I think the sources you've incorporated are incredibly valuable. You illustrate a strong understanding of the subject and demonstrate a very deep interest as well. I think this will help you along your journey. Your blog posts give insight to the ideal I-Search model. Very well done and looking forward to the next step of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwen,
    Even before I read this memo I already had a interest. I am pursuing a certificate in Special Education so your topic already appealed to me.

    The link between oral language development and writing development makes sense. How would somebody teach writing skills to somebody who has trouble communicating orally?

    That being said you seem to have found a lot of good information on your topic. That's great! I am interested in seeing what you uncover in your research into primary resources.

    ReplyDelete