Monday, October 27, 2014
Memo #3
Memo #3
I am eager to see what direction my primary sources will take me. I have four teachers in the Chariho Public Schools I will begin with. First, I will speak to the Special Education teachers at the high school. They work in very different classrooms as one primarily deals with severe disabilities. However, their educational background will be similar. I also plan to meet with a Teacher Assistant who works one on one in the class. It will be interesting to see her role in supporting the teachers during instruction. In addition, I plan to meet with the middle school Special Education teacher. Although my research focuses on secondary education, I think it will be interesting to see the instruction that leads up to the secondary level. With that in mind I would also like to meet with an elementary education teacher in Westerly. Education does not happen in a vacuum. I am curious to see if there is continuity in the instruction of writing.
I first would like to get an overall idea of how they determine what level or standards the students are at entering high school and what their anticipated goal is upon graduating. I would imagine it is VERY different depending on the student. Next, I am curious to know in their education what or how does writing instruction look in theory and do they actually implement this in the class. Or, I am curious, have they adapted their own strategies they have learned through experience over the years. Or perhaps it is a combination of techniques. I would like them to see the articles that I have found as well to see if they have even heard of theses strategies. If so have they used any of them. If so, do they work? If not, why?
According to secondary research it is identified that writing for learning disabled students is a major challenge for several reasons. According to Marshall Welch in “The PLEASE Strategy: A Metacognitive Learning Strategy for Improving Paragraph Writing of Students with Mild Learning Disabilities” he states students with special needs demonstrate poor planning and organizational skills associated with writing. They also have difficulty with idea generation as well as word and sentence production. Many are unaware of the purpose of writing which leads to irrelevant details and poor conclusions.We also know that because of the communication component writing is a challenge for learning disabled students as well. In addition, students struggle with handwriting and spelling. After all, even if a person is a phenomenal writer, it means nothing if its not understandable due to ineligible writing or misspelling. In the article by Steve Graham, “Handwriting and Spelling Instruction For Students With Learning Disabilities A Review” he lays out a comprehensive approach to teaching spelling and handwriting to learning disabled students.
In conclusion, I have learned through secondary sources that there are comprehensive approaches and strategies for teaching learning disabled students. In general these include understanding the child’s knowledge about the writing assignment, pre-planning, use of graphic organizers, modeling, revision, handwriting spelling, and multiple opportunities. So now it is time to ask others, is this what is happening in the classroom? If so, does it work? If not, why not. Or is this all good in theory but there is a whole different reality that exists in the world of special education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gwen,
ReplyDeleteI'd like to begin by saying you're blog design change is a HUGE improvement. Not only that, but it's actually quite impressive! This layout draws my eyes right to the text and I found it much easier reading this time around.
Now with that said, I'd like to comment on your interview process. I think it's been said before and I'd like to reiterate it: you illustrate empathy and interest in all of your posts. The questions, your concerns, and thoughts - it all seems to me like you genuinely care about this subject in writing. Your interest is stemming far beyond it just a project and that's great! This will be useful to your research ahead. I anticipate a smooth and easy outcome during the interview process. However, I also expect you will get a plethora of feedback, information and varying results. Because students change, and no teacher is alike I expect that the teacher instructional approach is going to vary all across the spectrum. I think it will be hard to narrow it down to one or even a few methods of practice. On the plus side, I think that's a great tool! The more practices in this field, the better. It would be interesting to see how teachers work in this field since it's such an overlooked topic. To me I see it as something that is normally background noise to the rest of high school. It's something kept "hush hush" to the rest the audience. I'm glad your forcing this topic to the front and bringing the attention to it that is needed.
Hey Gwen,
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that you are taking on A LOT in your interview/shadowing process. I think it might be helpful (both to you, and to us, the reader) to see specific questions that you want to have answered (for example, 1. How do special needs students organize their writing? 2...) This way, questions and specific answers can be organized together, and we can see the difference between your general wondering about the topic you are researching and what you are specifically trying to find out when you go to your primary sources. It seems to me that these two types of questions are blending together. On a different hand, I like the change to your blog a lot! It's much easier to read than the last one! However, writing in one big paragraph blob can be a bit confusing. Breaking it up into shorter paragraphs makes it much easier to read and comprehend different ideas that you have going on.
Gwen, you have a very good grasp on your topic and the questions you will need to ask to get (hopefully) some answers! I like that you will be talking with special education teachers & teacher assistants in the high school and the lower grades. You will certainly get a broader idea of strategies this way. I thought this was a very interesting topic, working with students myself and am very interested to see some of the feedback you get from your interviews!
ReplyDeleteGwen,
ReplyDeleteI think that you have a very interesting idea of tracking the progression of writing instruction from elementary education, through middle school, and into high school. I would be interested to learn how Special Ed teachers differentiate in the teaching of writing at each of the levels of education. It seems like a lot to accomplish, but your contacts throughout Washington County will definitely serve you well!
Also, I like how you have planned on using some of the questions generated from researching secondary sources when interviewing your primary sources. I agree with Paige that it would be helpful to share with us more specific questions that will be asked, but I understand where you’re likely going with your interviews.
Good luck and thanks for sharing!
Chris
Gwen,
ReplyDeleteFirst let me start by saying, I enjoy the changes you have made to your blog. As I would say, I love how you "glammed it up" a bit. I can sense you are starting to get a hang of blogging! YAY! On a different note, it seems like you have a strong interview process in place. I think it's smart to to interview someone at the elementary level and see how that has an impact with secondary. When it comes to the actual questions, I would have to agree with Paige and Chris. Maybe formulating a list of actual questions will ease the interviewing process.