Saturday, November 1, 2014
I Search Proposal
Search Research Proposal: Teaching writing in a Special Education Classroom Having worked as a nurse during summer school in a Special Education classroom, I’ve seen the spectrum of severe and profound mental and physical disabilities integrated with students on all levels of the Autistic spectrum. In the summer, the school focuses primarily on maintaining the students’ current level of functioning. Depending on the student this may be a physical or academic need. Teachers do not accomplish these goals alone. Teacher Assistants, Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists span the room as adjuncts to support the various student’s needs. As a Registered Nurse and Certified School Nurse Teacher I enter this topic with a decent understanding how to physically and emotionally care for students with special needs. At Chariho the Special Education Teachers and I collaborate in helping my Health Career Students understand this population better in order to serve their needs in the medical field. I have become very attached to several students through my work. I’ve seen them progress from elementary school to high school. Some students have become more ill due their medical conditions while higher functioning students become eligible to enter the work force and are emotionally and academically prepared for their transition from high school to life beyond. As we know the ability (or lack of ability ) to write can be an important component to a person’ s success. It can open or shut doors to employment opportunities. This led me to thinking about what writing instruction looks like in a Special Education Classroom. As students enter the workforce there must be a necessity to write as well as read. When I thought about the students I’ve encountered, I started wondering to what extent are they able to write. I’ve watched a classroom that focused on money and interpersonal skills. Surely, writing is a part of the process to prepare them as well. So this leads me to the burning question... What is the writing expectation of a special education teacher and student? Response to Literature, Response to Informational Texts, Reflective essays and Argumentative papers clutter an English teacher’s desk. But do they in a Special Education room? Or is it a focus on more basic skills, for example a job application or a thank you letter. For the purpose of this I-Search paper I think it is best to narrow down the type of student I will need to investigate. Due to the physical limitations of most severe and profound kids I think it will be difficult to use that population for this proposal. Therefore, I think it is most appropriate to research the students who are capable of physically writing and communicating their thoughts, as well as being productive citizens in the workforce where different types of writing will in fact be expected of them. For this proposal I will focus on students in the self contained academic classrooms. The diagnoses vary from mental retardation, children on the autistic spectrum to children with seizure disorders that has over time affected their mental capabilities. My plan is to not focus on the specific illness, but more that those student have “special needs.” I will be curious to see how or if instruction varies. If need be, I will tailor my research come that time if I discover there is a significant difference that will support further research. Understanding that writing is a critical component of a successful person it would make sense that the teaching of writing is an integral part of a special education classroom. This leads me to the following questions that I will focus on for my I -Research Paper. First, what does the writing curriculum look like in a Special Education Classroom and how is it different from a regular high school class? Second, what standards and/ or benchmarks are expected of students upon graduation? Third, who or what determines these standards? What are the pressures placed on the teacher to meet standards? Fourth, as a teacher of a diverse class how is writing taught and differentiated among students? Fifth, what type of writing is taught and how is it assessed? Lastly, is their any evidence that students who are more capable writers have an increase likelihood of success is the workplace. In order to gather my data I will need both primary and secondary sources. Fortunately, I have direct contact with the elementary, middle, and high school special education teachers. I plan to interview staff directly as these teachers are the ones who have direct instruction with the students and have degrees in the field of special education. I am anticipating they will guide or inform me of the standards they are governed by, at which point I can gain secondary research. In addition, I will be investigating the various methods of instruction across the spectrum for different age groups as well as the expectations. I am curious to understand how teachers differentiate instruction as well as assess student work. What are the expectations and benchmarks for a student that will be graduating high school with regards to writing standards. My last thought I think will be difficult to research. I would like to know if there is any research that supports the notion that students that have graduated and are successful in the workforce had a higher level of writing ability in secondary education. It can not be argued that the skill of writing is essential to the success of students. In a nutshell, I want to know how does this relate to special ed students. What are the expectations and how are they different from a general classroom? How do teachers instruct, differentiate and evaluate? Finally, how does their instruction benefit this population as citizens. I am unsure if my last question will be answered. I am not sure if I will have success finding secondary sources and I do not know if teachers stay connected in order to see the students post high school. Regardless of what I find I do already know one thing. The innocence and hearts of these kids is overwhelming. They struggle, laugh, and love like everyone else just maybe expressed in different ways. I am looking forward to spending time in the classroom learning more about the kids I hold dear to my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment